Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Suzy Homemaker Here...

I made pickles and pickled okra. Yummy. This was super easy and a lot of fun. I soaked cucumbers and okra in pickling lime. Then after giving them a good wash I cut of about 1/2 inch from the end of the cucumbers and steamed the okra for prep. Then I mixed my seasonings...this time I bought them in a package but now I plan on making my own dill mix. I brought vinegar, seasonings and water to a boil then turned it off but left it to keep warm on the stove. Then in a large pot I brought water to a boil. I sterilized the mason jars then packed them with okra or cucumbers then filled the jars with my seasoning mix until it was about 1/2 inch from the top. Then after put lids on the jars each took their turn in the boiling hot water! Though the first jar broke the others came out fine. I have them soaking in the refrigerator now for about two weeks then time to eat! Well now that I have tried making eggplant parmesan, canned pickles and okra, and last night planted some herbs and cherry tomatoes for my indoor garden who knows what is next? Maybe making canned tomatoes or pasta sauce. Happy Tuesday everyone!






2 comments:

  1. I am sooo impressed! lol :O) The pictures are great pictures too. They could be in a cooking magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks so much. It was a long time in the making...I have been thinking and reading about it for a while now. I am trying to wait for them to soak the two weeks but I really want to crack one open now! :)

    ReplyDelete