Thursday, March 8, 2012

Have you seen the ducks?

If you have ever been to the Peabody in Little Rock (or Memphis, or Orlando) then you have seen the ducks. They have to be one of the best parts about visiting the Peabody. If you have not been able to hear the story of the ducks let me give you a little back story. In 1932 in the Memphis Peabody two friends (two happy on Jack Daniel's whiskey friends) thought it would be funny to put some live duck decoys in the beautiful fountain. Instead of people being upset the guests were ecstatic about the ducks splashing in the water and soon a tradition was born.

These ducks live the life let me tell ya. They have a Duckmaster, get to swim in a beautiful marble fountain, and live in the Peabody hotel. You can check out the march of the ducks at 11 am when they come down to the fountain and 5 pm when they go up to their penthouse for the evening. During those hours can always check out the ducks eating, swimming, and splashing around. When my friends over at Building Our Story came down for a visit I got to see a child's reaction first hand. The kids were so excited and the ducks were adorable. Everyone was taking pictures and smiling. You can tell it brought out the little kid in the adults too. Such a great moment.

Now a new tradition is coming to life with a very special blog (<--click here to go to the blog)about the ducks and the Duckmaster. The big blog launch will be coming up on Monday but I am giving you a little sneak peek! What is a Duckmaster you ask? Well let me share an interview that was done with the Little Rock Duckmaster.*


Little Rock's Duckmaster Lloyd

1. What made you interested in becoming the Duckmaster at The Peabody Little Rock?

I went to The Peabody Memphis and saw all the history and stories of the most incredible hotel I had ever been in, and I decided I wanted to be a part of the heritage of the Peabody Hotels.

2. What do you enjoy most about being the Duckmaster?

All the incredible people that I have met, not only celebrities, but the people going through a difficult time in their life. I get to be a part of making a difference by taking them away for just a moment during the magic of the Duck March!

3. What’s your most memorable moment to date?

Having a Duck March at the Cowboy Stadium and seeing the Ducks up on the Jumbotron. There are too many to list, but that has to be one of the best.

4. What part of a duck’s diet is most appealing to you?

Well, it would have to be the Romaine lettuce that I should get more of myself!

5. Would you live in the Duck Palace?

Probably not, but if I were a duck that would be the place to be.

6. What’s the funniest thing the ducks have ever done?

I had Scott Rook, the Ford Bassmaster champion, as an Honorary Duckmaster. He wanted to bring his duck call, and I told him it was “not a problem.” Well, he did and when we stepped off the elevator, he started to blow it and the Ducks went everywhere. There are several others but this one I do remember very well.

7. How do you explain your job to your friends?

Well, it is always an ice-breaker at any event and a great opportunity to highlight the hotel and all its many attributes.

8. What other responsibilities do you have at the hotel, other than being the Duckmaster?

I help in Guest Services and assist with bells, valet, concierge and local marketing efforts. I also help to put together promotions for the hotel during the year, so I assist our sales and marketing department with trips, school events, etc.


9. What personality traits have prepared you for this prestigious position?

I served for seven years in the military, six years in ministry, had my own business for 12 years and have been married almost 29 years while putting three children through college. These jobs developed in me commitment, discipline and a love for people that translates well to the Duckmaster position.

10. What advice can you give to someone who wants to grow up one day to be Duckmaster?

It is an incredibly rewarding job that can be a career or prepare you for one. The things you learn in hospitality will transfer to any career choice that you may be aspiring to.


If you have not ever seen the ducks let me share a few pictures of the Duckmaster and the stars of the show the DUCKS!
The Duckmaster for Little Rock, AR

Ducks on the move...coming down the red carpet

The ducks enjoying fresh food and a swim. 














The Peabody Little Rock, Ar



















Don't forget to click here http://peabodyduckmaster.com/ or above on the big blue bold world blog to take you to the new blog.
*I did not conduct this interview and was not compensated for this blog review.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They are so fun. The kids watching were having a blast it was really sweet. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. Cool interview! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the comment. It is such a cool place.

      Delete
  3. Yes yes yes ... love the Peabody! As do all my kids!! BTW, I want your background for wallpaper - super cool :)Stopping in through Life According to Damaris – Sure would love a return follow via GFC and Google + when you have the time. www.shaunanosler.blogspot.com Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Followed you. Thanks for the comment. I think the background is a generic one I found on the blogger background options. Love it!

      Delete
  4. That was a fun post to read!! Thanks for sharing!! We have Duck Tour-Mobiles up north here in Boston and it made me think of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have some things like that a little south of here. Either way it is fun to explore your city! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  5. I so want to see this one day!

    ReplyDelete