Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I made tiny vegan friendly pie. Yum y'all!

Today I am linking up with We are That Family

They want to know how you save money and what works for you. I was looking for a great sweet treat idea and instead of running to the store I checked out what I already had and found I could make something delicious with out breaking the bank. My best tip when it comes to grocery shopping is know what you already have in your fridge, pantry, or freezer. Save your money and use what you already have!

I know we have all seen so many great treats on Pinterest. As some of you know I have been vegan now for over a month (vegetarian since November last year) and I was looking for some sweet treats that did not need egg or milk. So when I saw homemade pop tarts on Pinterest I knew I could work with that. I had a pre-made pie crust in the refrigerator some fresh organic berries and organic cane sugar. Which meant I did not even need to buy anything! Win! I used a champagne glass to cut the rounds for my top and bottom because it had a nice clean sharp edge and was about the size I wanted. After I cut an even number of rounds I put them in the freezer for a few minutes while I cut up the fruit. Next I simply put fruit on one side and then placed a top on and pinched them closed. I brushed them with non-dairy no soy vegan friendly butter and sprinkled cane sugar (organic from Whole Foods) over the tray of pies. Next pop them in the oven on 350 for about 20 minutes. Watch them. I started check them at ten minutes and just kept an eye out to see when they got golden on the tops. Lastly set them out to cool a bit and then the best part is enjoy!

7 comments: