Well aside from starting to make my own laundry detergent, trying the no 'poo method of hair care, keeping a house, dogs and husband happy/fed/clean/rested I thought why not make my cleaning products. So I used Lysol spray, Lysol wipes or bleach wipes, Windex, 409, all purpose cleaner, bleach, and fabreeze to keep my house clean. Lately though I have been struggling with the idea that these products have so many chemicals that I try to keep out of my food and hair. I mean why work hard to create a safe and healthy alternative for shampoo and laundry soap if I am just going to use all these cleaning products. Now this (keep in mind please) is all my own opinion. I am not saying any of these products are bad or have any health risks. But, for me and my home we will work hard to be green. I am working hard to get better about recycling but I want spray air freshener with who knows what in it everywhere I can. So after doing some research I have found some recopies for common household supplies that can be bought for little money, made in the USA, and are a much more limited amount of chemicals. I have bought some of the things I need to make these. I am going to slowly stock up while I use up the rest of my current cleaning supplies. I do not see the sense in wasting anything I currently have.
1. Spray bottles. Mine were less than a dollar at Wal-Mart and made in the USA.
2. Baking Soda-There isn't much baking soda can't do
3. White Vinegar- I bought made in the USA and cheap at Wal-Mart
4. Castile Soap-this is something I am going to have to look online for because locally it has been hard to find. Maybe Whole Foods carries it? I am not sure. Still looking though.
5. Bleach-I will still use this because it works and you can buy it made in the USA and I like the splash-less kind. Makes life easy.
6. Water-Yeah over half of these cleaning products are water.
7. Essential Oils-Still on the search for what I want.
8. Use old newspaper as paper towels, flour sack towels work so well, and I am attempting to crochet some granny squares to use for cleaning as well. I am trying to scale back my use of paper towels.
9. Borax-Great all purpose cleaner. Can be used so many ways.
All-Purpose disinfectant:
2 cups water
a few drops natural soap
15 drops of essential oil (more or less depending on what you like)
You can use this on counter tops, sinks, toilets, walls, etc. I have read that it is bad on glass so avoid that.
Window cleaner
1/4 tbls Castile soap (you may edit this adding more or less depending on how it turns out)
3 tbls vinegar
2 cups water
Spray bottle. I would add the Castile soap last so it does not foam up.
All Purpose Cleaner
1 teaspoon borax
1/2 teaspoon washing soda
2 tbls vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Castile soap
2 cups hot top water.
Again add the Castile soap last but before you do give the hot water and dry ingredients time to dissolve and shake the bottle gently to help mix it up.
I will post Fabreeze later after I test it out more.
Good Luck.
Wow! You are going green and BIG! So proud of you. :O)
ReplyDelete