Well first of all let me say that I have used store bought shampoo my entire life. I do have very sensitive skin though and there are many that have done some serious damage to my scalp. currently my scalp is very broke out and very painful. My go to shampoo in this situation has always been Nizoral. I initially was introduced to this by my dermatologist as a prescription shampoo but soon there was a less active ingredient version that was out on the shelf in most stores and I switched to that. The prescription price was about $100 initially and the in store brand is about $20. Big difference for the same active ingredient. However, due to a shortage and some company issues the shampoo that has saved my scald for years is no longer for sale (at least until the new year). So for me this was kind of scary. After a few months of struggling with shampoo after shampoo I went back to an older blog post I saw about something called the no poo movement. This is about not using any shampoo due to the chemicals and sulfates and all the harsh things in shampoo. Even some organic shampoos still contain these chemicals. So after looking for alternative recopies I created my first trail of it last night.
1 cup baking soda
4 cups water
10 drops of tea tree oil
I boiled the water and poured in the baking soda and stir until it was as dissolved as I could get it. Then poured it into a big mason jar and added my oils. After it cooled I sat it in the shower ready to be used. Now after shampoo most people condition. I find that most conditioners weight my curly hair down and leave my hair feeling oily. So after a little more digging I went back to an old school method and got some apple cider vinegar Now, I will just use this as a rinse on my hair not my scalp. Especially while my scalp is still healing. Maybe later I will not worry about it on my scalp but for now I am sure that would be so miserable.
This morning was my first time using the no poo shampoo and at first I was a little unsure. I poured the mixture (after I shook the mason jar up since some of it settled at the bottom) on my hair starting at my bangs and working back. I would say I used about a cup all together. Now this may prove to be too much baking soda or too much of the mixture but I am starting here and will make adjustments as needed. I massaged my scalp from front to back using the pads of my fingers and then let it sit for about two minutes. Then rinsed and using a comb in the shower I made sure it was all out and my scalp felt so clean. It was very nice. My hair is already feeling softer. Now over time I will adjust this to help my scalp heal and depending on the level of frizz you can add more or less baking soda. So that is all! It was very easy and because these were all ingredients I already had it did not cost me anything! SO much better than the cost of shampoo. Now to buy these items (the baking soda and whatever oil you decide on olive oil, tea tree oil, almond oil) it would cost less than $10 and last ten times as long.
Do you think this is something you would try? If so why and for how long? I committing myself to 8 weeks and will document with photos!
Happy Friday Y'all!
Very cool! You are a good hippie wife! Weenis!
ReplyDeletehaha. thanks! i try!!!
ReplyDelete