Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Homemade Tortillas

So after discovering that most tortillas are made with lard...yeah LARD that really grossed me out and made me sad. Sad because as a vegan I was really sticking to hummus and tortillas as an easy snack or light lunch. So I found a recipe to make my own and I changed it so that I could enjoy it with no worries. I will post the recipe both ways so you can certainly choose how you want to make them. They are easy and let me tell you a fresh and hot tortilla is so yummy. A little vegan butter or guacamole and salsa and yummy.

4 cups all purpose flour (I use unbleached)
1 Teaspoon salt (I use sea salt)
2 Tablespoons lard (I use 1 and half tablespoons vegetable oil----- This is to make it vegan friendly.)
1 1/2 cups water

Mix your dry ingredients together then add oil and water and mix. You may need to add a little more flour if it is to wet still. It can vary a little with the oil vs lard. Then take a spoonful of dough and roll it out thin on a little bit of flour to prevent sticking. You will have to try different thicknesses. Thicker means it will take a little longer to cook and will not have the ability to be folded as easily like a tortilla. I like to mix it up. Some come out softer some are crispy. Just do what you think you will eat. I use a large flat cast iron skillet but any skillet will do. Set the temp to medium and let it get hot before you put any dough on. Make sure you do this because if you put it in a skillet that is not hot enough it will not cook right. I do not use any spray but you know your skillet better than I do. If you need it use it just do not use too much.

I make sure to let them cool for about two hours before I put them in a bag and put them in the refrigerator. If they are even slightly warm they will sweat and moisture will make them not keep well.

These are so easy to throw together and make. It is cheap, quick, and healthier than store bought. They taste great and I use them for hummus, dips, veggies, a little vegan no soy butter and toast them to enjoy with soups, and even pb and jelly. Get creative!

Unbleached flour, my rolling pin, and my dough. 


Tortilla on the skillet.

 
Tortillas cooling...yes there are elephant shaped ones. I got an elephant shaped sandwich cutter. It is fun to change it up. 

7 comments:

  1. This just made me hungry. They look YUMMY -- and I love the elephant shaped ones :) I should probably try this recipe -- SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Looks pretty easy too - even for me! ;) lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes they are super easy. Plus you can make them any size you need. Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's great you can make them any size, that is what is what would be most useful for my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious! I think my daughter would even eat this! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look great! I wish I could get O to eat tortillas. Oh well, more for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the comments (I never have this many). Glad you liked the recipe. It is very easy. I like to use cookie cutters for random shapes to use as 'chips'for hummus or guac. Just for a change.

    ReplyDelete