Monday, February 13, 2012

Why I went vegan.

Well. Here it is. The post I never thought I would write. Why? Because I love cheese! Cheese, yogurt, sauces, dressings, delicious and rich and…terrible for me. AH!

Around Thanksgiving I gave up meat. I did eat some turkey but not much because it really just did not appeal to me. I had a few (count them three actually) slip ups while vegetarian and it was going really well. I was eating sliced cheese and ranch on things still though. For those who do not know my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant. I take synthroid and my progesterone is low. Other than that I am okay. The more research I did though showed that people with trouble getting pregnant were able to conceive by going vegetarian or vegan. Meat, dairy, and other animal by products are not easily broken down by your body. In fact a lot of people who suffer from lactose intolerance could greatly benefit from a vegan life style but continue to suffer through it. Also, meat, dairy, and by products like eggs can cause your body to become acidic (especially when you are drink soda and eating processed food like most of us do). If your body is too acidic it can make it more difficult to conceive. So with my hormones out of control and my want to start a family I have made the leap to vegan. In a few days I have some lab work that will be drawn. I have been off all my vitamins and supplements. I want to see what my body looks like as clean as possible. I still had been drinking a coke every once and a while but I do see that I need to stop that and have decided why not today. No time like the present!

So, how do you go vegan? Listen. I had to really do my research.  No man or woman in this case can live off humus and pita alone. But, I tried for a few days. Preparing meals ahead of time is such a huge key. Salads, hummus, guacamole, and fruits and veggies can be prepared ahead of time and I even store them in containers that make it easy to grab and go to work or out to run errands.  There are foods that have more than enough protein in them to replace what you were getting in meat. FYI cooking meats reduces the nutrients and protein you get and we have been trained to think we need much more protein than we really do. Quinoa is the best and one of the only complete sources of protein and can be made in so many different ways. Hummus, spinach, kidney beans, pinto beans, peanut butter, almonds, broccoli, potatoes, and cashews are just a few good sources of protein.  

Oil and meat also have so many more calories verses having fresh fruits and vegetables. Check out the chart below. I can have a huge serving of salad with a great vegan friend dressing and get fuller faster. That also means I am less tempted to gorge on other foods.

Recently I have noticed a change in my skin. It feels better, looks clearer, and is really balanced as far as oil and dryness goes. My nails are getting stronger and weight is falling off me.
There are so many reasons for making healthy lifestyle changes. I am not saying this works for everyone but I am saying most people could stand to eat more plant based foods. So just try cutting out one serving of meat or dairy a day and see if you miss it. Give it a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment