So I am four weeks from my first 5k and I am looking forward to it. I am nervous, scared, and could potentially pee my shorts at the starting line but I am excited. I have also just printed out two more applications to do a second in May and then one in July. Every week one new person (who are anywhere from avid runners or who are in the runner retail business, nutritionists, and trainers and everyone in between) come and talk to our running clinic. Some of the things I have learned I am going to list below. I have really gotten a lot out of this and am already thinking about next years clinic. This is such an awesome time to get together with a group of ladies who are supporting each other. No matter if you are the fastest runner or the back of the pack walker there is someone who is there for you to give encouragement or tell you their story and that they have been in your shoes. Some days it is nice to talk before/after but the part I think I like the best is putting in my headphones and just zoning out. It is a great way to clear your thoughts and get yourself prepared for the week or the next day.
My amazing husband and I had a good weekend in the yard. It was nice here (even got above 80 PTL). I am such a southerner though because I like the heat and the humidity makes my curly hair perfect! Love it. We got some mowing done, there is more to do still, got plants watered and pollen cleaned of the decks and cars. Also it was so nice to hang all the laundry on the line. Since the dryer went out it has been a little difficult to turn our room into one big drying rack but now that it is getting hot outside the clothes line is so much easier. I hang every on hangers so I can use more of the line. When you just pin everything to the line itself it eats up a ton of space. So the hangers work out well plus when everything dries it is ready to go right into the closet. So nice.
Ok here is my list of tips for running or working out or simply setting a goal...I am not professional but this is just a list of things I have learned in the running clinic.
1. Set a goal: This doesn't just mean set a goal and if you think real hard it will happen. You have to break it down in to manageable steps. For me it was to run a 5K. So that meant I needed to get signed up for a work out in this case the women's running clinic. Then get the right 'gear'. Then be dedicated to going.
2. The right gear: Okay for this one I thought I had to have new shoes...I was wrong. New shoes are great and I do love the smell of new shoes in the morning but for me running in shoes that were broken in made me feel so much better. No blisters no sores none of that nasty mess. I mean new shoes are great if you have the money to do so but it was nice to know I did not have to invest tons of money to get started. Slowly as I started to shed some weight and I was running holding my shorts up we had a guest talk to us about sports clothes and fabric. I have learned that fabric that draws sweat away from you can make a world of difference. In fact it can be the difference in continuing a work out and giving up. It helps keep you cool and comfortable. There are even socks that do this and let me tell you...it is amazing.
3. Believe in what you can do. Like the Little Rock marathon winner told us there is no magic pill for this (Prozac anyone lol) but this is something that you have to have from with in. I know for me this was no easy task but week by week I feel a little stronger physically and mentally.
4. Reward yourself. Now this is something I came up with based on what I hear at clinic.Even if it means spending $5 on a new pair of socks or just giving yourself a pat on the back it is all something that is important. Every time you reach a step towards your goal remind yourself what you are working for and make sure to surround yourself with encouraging people. For me this weekend I was able to clean out my closet and move things that were not fitting anymore to the front because now they do. That was free but still a great treat. It helped me to remember that I am working on becoming a healthier me.
Well these are the only tips I have so far. I hope that this helps you as it does me and I hope to have you all sending your thoughts and prayers my way May 8th! <><
No comments:
Post a Comment