Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Portion control then vs. now

I read an article today that really made me think...and make me a little sick. http://www.divinecaroline.com/22177/49492- (Go check it out after you read this post.)

The portion sizes are so exaggerated now that no wonder we have a hard time getting healthy. According to the  USDA our plate should be well balanced with vegetables and grains making up the largest parts. Not the huge burger and super sized fries. See http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome
This is the icon for MyPlate which replaced MyPyramid in June 2011. The new MyPlate icon is composed of a plate divided into 4 sections: fruits, vegetables, grains, and protein. A dairy section is off the plate to the side. The MyPlate graphic is positioned on a placemat with the website ChooseMyPlate.gov written underneath. The 5 sections of MyPlate are clickable and go to food group subpages. 
So, when we go on a diet how can we think that going from jumbo size everything to the appropriate and portion controlled sizes will work for us? It is not a fast process. It is about learning to respect your body enough to put thought into your meals in my opinion. I am certainly not a great example of this as I am very overweight but you know what? This has all really made me think. I have been trying to work out but really have not changed a lot about the portions of my foods. Even healthy foods should be gorged on right? That bag of all natural organic chips are okay in moderation. Not when you kill the entire bag! Check out some of the portion sizes below that I found from www.dicinecaroline.com
Portion Sizes 20 Years Ago and Today
Bagels
Then: 3-inch diameter, 140 calories        Now: 6-inch diameter, 350 calories

Fast Food Cheeseburgers
Then: 333 calories                       Now: 590 Calories

Spaghetti and Meatballs
Then: 1 cup of spaghetti and sauce with 3 meatballs, 500 calories   
Now: 2 cups of pasta and sauce with 3 meatballs, 1,025 calories

Soda
Then: 6.5 ounces, 85 calories                Now: 20 ounces, 250 calories

Blueberry Muffin
Then: 1.5 ounces, 210 calories          Now: 5 ounces, 500 calories


French Fries
Then: 2.4 ounces, 210 calories             Now: 6.9 ounces, 610 calories
 Makes you think right? Even though I used to thank God everyday for my Route 44 from sonic now instead of soda I get a Route 44 water with extra ice. I can add crystal light or lemon juice and I have a cold drink almost all day since I can just refill at work or home. 

I am certainly not saying deny yourself because I would never do that myself. But, get a small (like child size) Coke if you need one. Sometimes you just need to put a lid on that little craving before it gets out of control. 

Good luck and happy grocery shopping with your new information. 

<><


2 comments:

  1. It is sad how much the portions have changed. I wish it was easier to order a meal and cut it in half like you should...so hard though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know some people say to cut it in half and then ruin the other half like soaking it in salt or water which is weird. I guess I should just ask for a to go box with my meal. Out of sight out of mind...maybe lol!

    ReplyDelete